Thursday, November 20, 2008

Posting

One more note: I really do enjoy the written dialogue from this blog so I encourage people to post. This is fun and helpful to everyone also but my motivation is mostly selfish. I am more of a thinker and sometimes I run out of things to think about. I especially love posts from those who think differently than me. I have heard some are intimidated or fearful, but....just don't be. We are all human and realize some of our positions are undoubtedly wrong. The more areas we have opinions on the more likely we are going to be wrong on something.
This is a viewpoint I innately hold and try to encourage. I don't take the adversarial approach to argumentation but think of discussion as two people trying to come the truth together (like Plato). It's hard for me to interact with those who take the other approach - I don't understand the advantage and I am not that way. And it's weird to me that almost everyone takes the adversarial approach - I believe this is a effect of ignorance. I know enough to say I don't know - such confidence encourages the communal approach to discussion but most people don't know this much.

2 comments:

Oliver and Pamela said...

so its not ok for me to tell thomas "i'm right cause i'm your mom" or "because i said so"? bummer.

Uncle nathan said...

It's only ok until he's old enough to give you the finger or kick TO in the balls. After that I don't think it will fly.