Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm still alive.

K mentioned last week how I feel very responsible for others. This is a good observation, and I've decided it's because deep down I think I'm smarter than them. This is how I try to rationalize my pride - by saying the outlet of feeling responsible is a good one.


It got me thinking about the best ways to remain dumb in life. I've come up with a few, but only 1 important one.

1. Only listen to people you agree with. I remember at Caltech (liberal central) there are many people who can't even stand to listen to conservative talk radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh. I'll go on record to say this is absolutley horrid. Grow a pair. Such insecurity, such dogmatic thinking, such closed-mindedness where one is simply incapable of listening to someone they disagree with. People like that are the reason for the anti-intellectual church. As an intellectual you should be listening to people you disagree with more than people you agree with. This means as conservative Christians we should be listening to Keith Olberman and Chris Hitchens, not shying away from them. After all, as intellectual Christians we have at least some handle on the arguments for our faith, so where is the threat? And as conservative intellectuals we have some handle on the reasons for our conservativism - how else can we grow?

2. Don't read, 3. Don't attend lectures or talk to people about anything of consequence, and other things that aren't that important - I was mostly thinking of talk radio.

No comments: